Old 07-05-2004, 04:03 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Default Suggestions for best filter plants

I highly recommend the iris as you can plant it in a container with just
big rocks and use those new Throw Tabs in the pots. No soil to content with
and easy dividing. Roots right in contact with water. I put mine in the koi
ponds fall thru blooming, remove them to a kiddy pool and add my tropicals
like cannas, callas & taros for summer. ~ jan

On Wed, 05 May 2004 12:11:50 GMT, "Stephen M. Henning" wrote:

I have a 20,000 gallon pond (17'x47'x2'-4') with just minnows, no Koi.
I put my filter plants directly in the pond rather than in a special
veggie filter. My pond is spring fed, so I need fairly aggressive
filter plants. The pond has stone wall sides (old swimming pool) but I
have greenhouse benches under the water around the outside so I can use
marginals or under water plants. My biggest problem is string algae.
It even grows on the end of the spring pipes, so the spring water has a
fair amount of nutrients in it. What are my best choices? Zone 6.