Old 05-05-2004, 02:09 PM
Stephen M. Henning

Default Suggestions for best filter plants

I have a 20,000 gallon pond (17'x47'x2'-4') with just minnows, no Koi.
I put my filter plants directly in the pond rather than in a special
veggie filter. My pond is spring fed, so I need fairly aggressive
filter plants. The pond has stone wall sides (old swimming pool) but I
have greenhouse benches under the water around the outside so I can use
marginals or under water plants. My biggest problem is string algae.
It even grows on the end of the spring pipes, so the spring water has a
fair amount of nutrients in it. What are my best choices? Zone 6.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman
Old 05-05-2004, 02:10 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Stephen M. Henning" wrote in message
news
I have a 20,000 gallon pond (17'x47'x2'-4') with just minnows, no Koi.
I put my filter plants directly in the pond rather than in a special
veggie filter. My pond is spring fed, so I need fairly aggressive
filter plants. The pond has stone wall sides (old swimming pool) but I
have greenhouse benches under the water around the outside so I can use
marginals or under water plants. My biggest problem is string algae.
It even grows on the end of the spring pipes, so the spring water has a
fair amount of nutrients in it. What are my best choices? Zone 6.

The best filter plants are those with a dense root system. There are
marginals that work very well like Water Iris, and Water Celery, and
floaters such as Water Hyacinth and Water Lettuce. The floaters usually
spread voraciously, so that is something to think about. The Iris are not as
efficient, but they are nice to look at. The water celery has a great root
system, and grows hardily in many zones. A nice blend of plants will give
you a nice look and give you good filtering.

Last year I jump started my VF with duckweed and watercress. The duckweed
eventually got eaten, but the water cress grew voraciously in my stream. Two
more great filter plants.

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 05-05-2004, 04:06 PM

water celery. variegated is pretty.. plant it right on edge of the pond and let it
grow into and out of the pond. also, louisiana iris spread well, good upright form.
they split containers.

"Stephen M. Henning" wrote:

I have a 20,000 gallon pond (17'x47'x2'-4') with just minnows, no Koi.
I put my filter plants directly in the pond rather than in a special
veggie filter. My pond is spring fed, so I need fairly aggressive
filter plants. The pond has stone wall sides (old swimming pool) but I
have greenhouse benches under the water around the outside so I can use
marginals or under water plants. My biggest problem is string algae.
It even grows on the end of the spring pipes, so the spring water has a
fair amount of nutrients in it. What are my best choices? Zone 6.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 05-05-2004, 08:13 PM
Just Me \Koi\

In addition to Water Hyacinth & watercress, I will strongly recommend
Pennyworth (spelling?) Plant them, bring the kids and dogs in quickly as
they (pennyworth) grow fast and furious!

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

Old 06-05-2004, 01:07 AM
jammer

Primrose and parrot feather.

Old 07-05-2004, 04:03 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

I highly recommend the iris as you can plant it in a container with just
big rocks and use those new Throw Tabs in the pots. No soil to content with
and easy dividing. Roots right in contact with water. I put mine in the koi
ponds fall thru blooming, remove them to a kiddy pool and add my tropicals
like cannas, callas & taros for summer. ~ jan