Old 07-05-2004, 06:08 PM
BAC

Default Heron visit to pond

"Tim Nicholson" wrote in message
On Fri, 7 May 2004 08:35:22 +0100, "BAC"
wrote:

Mostly, perhaps, but I have seen herons fishing from timber landing

stages
into water too deep for them to stand up in.

Having followed this thread for a couple of days, I tried the 'fishing
wire round the edge of the pond' routine yesterday. Today, when
looking out of the bathroom window first thing, I saw the heron
standing on the fountain in the middle of the pond! And yes, the
fountain was working! Admittedly it only throws the water into a
shape about 2'6" high and similar diameter and is more of a sprinkler
really (the fountain, not the heron). I didn't think herons could land
that accurately? (the water round the fountain's about 2' deep, and
I've only ever seen the heron in the margin of the pond before.

Do I need a more powerful pump/fountain?

No, you need more easily fooled herons :-)