Old 05-05-2004, 08:15 PM
Gill Hall

Default Heron visit to pond

Thank you all for the helpful advice. I think I'll plump for Sacha's advice -
that of the string round the edge. This is the second time we've had a
devastating clearout, and I now remember that there is a heronry at Englefield,
just a couple of miles away. Bother. Not that I don't like herons - they're
beautiful birds.

Gill
Old 06-05-2004, 08:09 PM
Bob

The way I prevented herons getting the fish was to have the pond at least
three feet deep at the margins and with a wall around the pond about six
inches higher that the water level. This works for me. I am a keen angler
and have spent may hours watching herons and it occoured to me that they
never fish anywhere where they have to put their head below the level of
their feet. They mostly stand in the water to fish.

Bob

Old 07-05-2004, 09:04 AM
BAC

"Bob" wrote in message
The way I prevented herons getting the fish was to have the pond at least
three feet deep at the margins and with a wall around the pond about six
inches higher that the water level. This works for me. I am a keen

angler
and have spent may hours watching herons and it occoured to me that they
never fish anywhere where they have to put their head below the level of
their feet. They mostly stand in the water to fish.

Mostly, perhaps, but I have seen herons fishing from timber landing stages
into water too deep for them to stand up in.

Old 07-05-2004, 11:03 AM
martin

On Fri, 7 May 2004 08:35:22 +0100, "BAC"
wrote:

"Bob" wrote in message
The way I prevented herons getting the fish was to have the pond at least
three feet deep at the margins and with a wall around the pond about six
inches higher that the water level. This works for me. I am a keen

angler
and have spent may hours watching herons and it occoured to me that they
never fish anywhere where they have to put their head below the level of
their feet. They mostly stand in the water to fish.

Mostly, perhaps, but I have seen herons fishing from timber landing stages
into water too deep for them to stand up in.

and catch things whilst gliding just above the surface.

Old 07-05-2004, 02:03 PM
Tim Nicholson

wrote:

Mostly, perhaps, but I have seen herons fishing from timber landing stages
into water too deep for them to stand up in.

Having followed this thread for a couple of days, I tried the 'fishing
wire round the edge of the pond' routine yesterday. Today, when
looking out of the bathroom window first thing, I saw the heron
standing on the fountain in the middle of the pond! And yes, the
fountain was working! Admittedly it only throws the water into a
shape about 2'6" high and similar diameter and is more of a sprinkler
really (the fountain, not the heron). I didn't think herons could land
that accurately? (the water round the fountain's about 2' deep, and
I've only ever seen the heron in the margin of the pond before.

Do I need a more powerful pump/fountain?

Tim

Old 07-05-2004, 02:03 PM
martin

wrote:

Mostly, perhaps, but I have seen herons fishing from timber landing stages
into water too deep for them to stand up in.

Having followed this thread for a couple of days, I tried the 'fishing
wire round the edge of the pond' routine yesterday. Today, when
looking out of the bathroom window first thing, I saw the heron
standing on the fountain in the middle of the pond! And yes, the
fountain was working! Admittedly it only throws the water into a
shape about 2'6" high and similar diameter and is more of a sprinkler
really (the fountain, not the heron). I didn't think herons could land
that accurately? (the water round the fountain's about 2' deep, and
I've only ever seen the heron in the margin of the pond before.

Do I need a more powerful pump/fountain?

or 20,000 volts?

There's a coot nesting on top of an active fountain in a canal in
Leiden, the nest is built around the bit that the water comes out of.
In the photo in the local paper, the bird on the nest is half obscured
by the spray falling all around it.
Old 07-05-2004, 06:08 PM
BAC

wrote:

Mostly, perhaps, but I have seen herons fishing from timber landing

stages
into water too deep for them to stand up in.

Having followed this thread for a couple of days, I tried the 'fishing
wire round the edge of the pond' routine yesterday. Today, when
looking out of the bathroom window first thing, I saw the heron
standing on the fountain in the middle of the pond! And yes, the
fountain was working! Admittedly it only throws the water into a
shape about 2'6" high and similar diameter and is more of a sprinkler
really (the fountain, not the heron). I didn't think herons could land
that accurately? (the water round the fountain's about 2' deep, and
I've only ever seen the heron in the margin of the pond before.

Do I need a more powerful pump/fountain?

No, you need more easily fooled herons :-)

pond lights gadgets and Gizmos....please visit my site @ eBay www.eBayelk.com Ponds 16 01-07-2005 08:18 PM
pond lights gadgets and Gizmos....please visit my site @ eBay www.eBayelk.com Ponds 0 19-06-2005 06:59 PM
pond lights gadgets and Gizmos....please visit my site @ eBay www.eBayelk.com Ponds (alternative) 0 19-06-2005 06:59 PM
Heron visiting my pond Scott M. Ponds 37 20-08-2004 12:21 AM
Heron visiting my pond Scott M. Ponds 0 12-08-2004 02:07 PM