Old 07-05-2004, 10:09 PM
Rhiannon Macfie Miller

Default Useful plant for a shady spot

We've recently cleared some rubbish from beside our back
door. As a result, there's now a patch of bare soil that
could do with something in it. It's right next to a big
tall fence on the south side, and the house to the east, so
it doesn't get much light. But we'd like to put something
useful (such as a herb) there if we can, where we can just
lean out and pick some for the kitchen. (We were hoping we
could put some asparagus there until we learnt it wanted
full sun.) On the other side of the door a big bushy purple
sage is taking over very happily, so we want something to
balance it. We also already have chives, rosemary, and
parsley doing very well elsewhere in the garden. What could
we put there?

Rhiannon