Old 08-05-2004, 10:17 AM
David W.E. Roberts

Default Size of Pots for Veggies

"Joanne" wrote in message
I want to grow tomatoes, runner beans and mangetout in pots, so I need

buy some plastic pots.

Could someone tell me what size pots I should get? There are some for

sale
on e-bay that are shown in both inches and litres sizes, but I'm not

sure
what size to buy.

Oh, I forgot to ask if it would just as good (and cheaper) to use everyday
cheap plastic buckets and poke holes in the bottoms for drainage, or are
buckets too large?

Domestic buckets would IMHO be far too small.

I used a Muck Bucket - one of those large plastic tubs with rope handles -
last year as an extra pot because it was about the same size as the main
pots I was using.
Just checked and it is 18" in diameter.

The ones used for tomatoes are 20" diameter at the top, and 16" deep.
They are round brown plastic pots which taper a bit downwards.
The kind you put shrubs in on the patio.
I think you can find similar for around £3.99 if you check round the sheds.
Somewhwere usually has an offer on.

I also put manure and a good dose of chicken manure (Rooster) at the bottom.
It all seemed to work very well and we had masses of cherry tomatoes over a
long season.

I have bought some square planters to try cucumbers and courgettes in,
because I realised they would fit together in a row and I could potentially
cram more pots into a given space :-)

All I have to do now is construct some kind of support for everything.
Last year I tried to grow the tomatoes up a wigwam of canes, but they spread
everywhere and it was very difficult to pick the fruit at the back of the
plant.

Cheers
Dave R