Old 07-05-2004, 12:08 PM
Joanne

Default Size of Pots for Veggies

I want to grow tomatoes, runner beans and mangetout in pots, so I need to
buy some plastic pots.

Could someone tell me what size pots I should get? There are some for sale
on e-bay that are shown in both inches and litres sizes, but I'm not sure
what size to buy.

Thanks.

Old 07-05-2004, 12:08 PM
Joanne

"Joanne" wrote in message
I want to grow tomatoes, runner beans and mangetout in pots, so I need to
buy some plastic pots.

Could someone tell me what size pots I should get? There are some for

sale
on e-bay that are shown in both inches and litres sizes, but I'm not sure
what size to buy.

Oh, I forgot to ask if it would just as good (and cheaper) to use everyday
cheap plastic buckets and poke holes in the bottoms for drainage, or are
buckets too large?

Thanks.

Old 07-05-2004, 04:04 PM
D Russell

"Joanne" wrote in message
"Joanne" wrote in message
I want to grow tomatoes, runner beans and mangetout in pots, so I need

buy some plastic pots.

Could someone tell me what size pots I should get? There are some for

sale
on e-bay that are shown in both inches and litres sizes, but I'm not

sure
what size to buy.

Oh, I forgot to ask if it would just as good (and cheaper) to use everyday
cheap plastic buckets and poke holes in the bottoms for drainage, or are
buckets too large?

Thanks.

For any of those crops I'd say the bigger the better, they all love deep
rich soil, and lot sof moisture. The curse of small pots is the speed at
which they dry out.

Duncan

Old 07-05-2004, 06:10 PM

On Fri, 7 May 2004 11:54:12 +0100, "Joanne"
wrote:

"Joanne" wrote in message
I want to grow tomatoes, runner beans and mangetout in pots, so I need to
buy some plastic pots.

Could someone tell me what size pots I should get? There are some for

sale
on e-bay that are shown in both inches and litres sizes, but I'm not sure
what size to buy.

Oh, I forgot to ask if it would just as good (and cheaper) to use everyday
cheap plastic buckets and poke holes in the bottoms for drainage, or are
buckets too large?

Thanks.

I have been using those black flower tubs they sell in some
supermarkets. We put holes in the bottom and sit them in those plastic
dishes you can buy. The black tubs are about 12" across at the top and
about 15" high. The supermarket (Morrisons) used to sell them for 10p
each but have now caught on sell them in packs of 6-8. I am going to
try one for cucumbers this year. Diana

Old 07-05-2004, 07:06 PM
Joanne

"Joanne" wrote in message
Could someone tell me what size pots I should get?
Oh, I forgot to ask if it would just as good (and cheaper) to use

everyday
cheap plastic buckets and poke holes in the bottoms for drainage, or are
buckets too large?

I have been using those black flower tubs they sell in some
supermarkets. We put holes in the bottom and sit them in those plastic
dishes you can buy. The black tubs are about 12" across at the top and
about 15" high. The supermarket (Morrisons) used to sell them for 10p
each but have now caught on sell them in packs of 6-8. I am going to
try one for cucumbers this year. Diana

Thanks, Diana. In Morrisons, are they in a gardening section or at the
florist area, or elsewhere? I've never seen the flower tubs you mention,
so I don't quite know what to look for, but I'll go to Morrison's this
weekend and see what they have.

Thanks.

Old 08-05-2004, 10:17 AM
David W.E. Roberts

"Joanne" wrote in message
"Joanne" wrote in message
I want to grow tomatoes, runner beans and mangetout in pots, so I need

buy some plastic pots.

Could someone tell me what size pots I should get? There are some for

sale
on e-bay that are shown in both inches and litres sizes, but I'm not

sure
what size to buy.

Oh, I forgot to ask if it would just as good (and cheaper) to use everyday
cheap plastic buckets and poke holes in the bottoms for drainage, or are
buckets too large?

Domestic buckets would IMHO be far too small.

I used a Muck Bucket - one of those large plastic tubs with rope handles -
last year as an extra pot because it was about the same size as the main
pots I was using.
Just checked and it is 18" in diameter.

The ones used for tomatoes are 20" diameter at the top, and 16" deep.
They are round brown plastic pots which taper a bit downwards.
The kind you put shrubs in on the patio.
I think you can find similar for around £3.99 if you check round the sheds.
Somewhwere usually has an offer on.

I also put manure and a good dose of chicken manure (Rooster) at the bottom.
It all seemed to work very well and we had masses of cherry tomatoes over a
long season.

I have bought some square planters to try cucumbers and courgettes in,
because I realised they would fit together in a row and I could potentially
cram more pots into a given space :-)

All I have to do now is construct some kind of support for everything.
Last year I tried to grow the tomatoes up a wigwam of canes, but they spread
everywhere and it was very difficult to pick the fruit at the back of the
plant.

Cheers
Dave R

Reactor size VS Tank Size? chaz Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 18-05-2006 02:33 PM
GreeNeem Bio Pots - Biodegradable Nursery Containers / Pots sivaram Gardening 0 10-01-2005 07:38 AM
new to veggies shannie United Kingdom 1 12-03-2003 12:23 AM
amusing veggies Don Engdahl Gardening 3 04-02-2003 01:23 AM