Old 08-05-2004, 12:02 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Default Periodic Cicadas was New Garden from Lawn

simy1 said:

As I understand it, periodic cicadas feed almost exclusively on young tree
branches and twigs. I don't think your lettuce is as risk from them,
although slugs and earwigs may end up being your nemesis.

sorry to double.

http://www.msj.edu/cicada/

gives the map coverage of cicada Brood X emergence (now only days
away). Looks like Ann Arbor is at the very edge of the range.

This is definitely something every nature-lover should try to experience at
least once in their lives. In town or suburbia is not the best place for a
heavy emergence.

I will never forget the experience of being at Turkey Run State Park in Indiana
at the height of the buzzing frenzy (34 years ago).

The aftermath (as far as the trees were concerned) was an overall, fairly well
distributed pruning back of the upper branches. It must have been a fat year
for much of the wildlife...

(attributed to Don Marti)