Old 08-05-2004, 12:02 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Default Periodic Cicadas was New Garden from Lawn

simy1 said:

As I understand it, periodic cicadas feed almost exclusively on young tree
branches and twigs. I don't think your lettuce is as risk from them,
although slugs and earwigs may end up being your nemesis.

sorry to double.

http://www.msj.edu/cicada/

gives the map coverage of cicada Brood X emergence (now only days
away). Looks like Ann Arbor is at the very edge of the range.

This is definitely something every nature-lover should try to experience at
least once in their lives. In town or suburbia is not the best place for a
heavy emergence.

I will never forget the experience of being at Turkey Run State Park in Indiana
at the height of the buzzing frenzy (34 years ago).

The aftermath (as far as the trees were concerned) was an overall, fairly well
distributed pruning back of the upper branches. It must have been a fat year
for much of the wildlife...

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 10-05-2004, 12:02 PM
Pat Kiewicz

simy1 said:

(Pat Kiewicz) wrote in message

ast.com...

actually I got that site from the article on the Economist, science
and Tech section. and there they say that suburbs help cicadas, who
prefer the roots of younger trees ( such as those found in suburbs).

We didn't have them in-town in Indiana -- only out in the parks, as far as
I can remember (and I think I would have noticed them in town if they were
there in any number).

You would need to be in an area that had been at least lightly treed two
cycles ago and fairly undisturbed since. I'd think any place that went over
to a typical subdivision (stripped and platted) in the last 17 years would be
cicada-free. Also places where most of the lawns get treated with pesticide
on a regular basis...

Also of interest the evolutionary explanation of why all these broods
choose prime numbers for their periodic emergence (13 or 17 yrs).
Where you around here in 1987, Pat? Are we in or out?

I lived in Shelby Township in Macomb County in 1987; didn't notice any there.

Maybe we'll have some here; I'm in an old sub and we back up to parkland.

(attributed to Don Marti)