Old 08-05-2004, 10:06 PM
Brian

Default Ground Elder...

Ground Elder is often a single plant with a massive wandering root system.
I inherited a garden with a border of specimen Hydrangeas totally covered
with a solid mass of G.E. The underground system was so thick that it could
not be penetrated even with a fork. I used a wide tined fork.
I wondered about Roundup but feared for the Hydrangeas. Just as a test I
sprayed an area of far less than a square yard, to see the effect.
[Agricultural strength]
After two weeks very little effect but by the third week the whole bed of
over 100sq.yds. was clearly suffering. After 6 weeks all the G.E had gone
without trace and has remained so. None ever returned and no effect on the
Hydrangeas.
The relief was fantastic!!
Good luck Best Wishes Brian. 'flayb' to respond.

"Vicky" wrote in message
...is taking over my lawn along one side of my garden and has a liking for
the rockery in my front garden too. How do I get rid of this stuff

without
having to pull it out every time I weed the rockery? Incidentally, I have
quite a few plants and a couple of raspberry canes in said rockery and I'm
keen to keep those.

Vicky