Old 08-05-2004, 07:11 PM
Vicky

Default Ground Elder...

....is taking over my lawn along one side of my garden and has a liking for
the rockery in my front garden too. How do I get rid of this stuff without
having to pull it out every time I weed the rockery? Incidentally, I have
quite a few plants and a couple of raspberry canes in said rockery and I'm
keen to keep those.

Vicky

Old 08-05-2004, 09:06 PM
Emrys Davies

'Vicky',

This site should be of help.

http://www.dgsgardening.btinternet.c...ound-elder.htm

Best to use Glysophate Pen to treat the elder in your rockery as that
enables you to carefully wet the leaves of the weed without
contaminating your other plants. It then kills the root of the weed
without having any adverse effect on your other plants or the soil.

More ideas:
http://www.au.gardenweb.com/forums/l...608381370.html

http://tinyurl.com/ytnny

http://tinyurl.com/28zsl

Best of luck if you have any time for weeding after reading all of this.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 08-05-2004, 10:06 PM
Brian

Ground Elder is often a single plant with a massive wandering root system.
I inherited a garden with a border of specimen Hydrangeas totally covered
with a solid mass of G.E. The underground system was so thick that it could
not be penetrated even with a fork. I used a wide tined fork.
I wondered about Roundup but feared for the Hydrangeas. Just as a test I
sprayed an area of far less than a square yard, to see the effect.
[Agricultural strength]
After two weeks very little effect but by the third week the whole bed of
over 100sq.yds. was clearly suffering. After 6 weeks all the G.E had gone
without trace and has remained so. None ever returned and no effect on the
Hydrangeas.
The relief was fantastic!!
Good luck Best Wishes Brian. 'flayb' to respond.

Old 08-05-2004, 11:06 PM
Vicky

I wondered about Roundup but feared for the Hydrangeas. Just as a test I
sprayed an area of far less than a square yard, to see the effect.
[Agricultural strength]
After two weeks very little effect but by the third week the whole bed

of
over 100sq.yds. was clearly suffering. After 6 weeks all the G.E had gone
without trace and has remained so. None ever returned and no effect on the
Hydrangeas.
The relief was fantastic!!
Good luck Best Wishes Brian. 'flayb' to respond.

Goodo! I have some of that residing in my shed and shall give it a go
tomorrow. When I originally dug over and built my rockery, I realised I was
taking up roots for Britain and equally realised I was never going to get it
all just by digging.

Vicky

Old 08-05-2004, 11:09 PM
Brian

Vicky,
I don't know if there is any difference between Roundup for domestic use
cf. that for agriculture. I seem to remember that 1 litre was used to
totally clean 1 acre.
The very best method of application where there is danger to wanted plants
is to mix the Roundup with wallpaper paste. Apply this to odd plants by
smearing on their leaves~~by hand, wearing 'throw away' plastic gloves. The
'paste' can be stored to use again when needed.
Best Wishes Brian

Old 08-05-2004, 11:11 PM
Franz Heymann

"Vicky" wrote in message
...is taking over my lawn along one side of my garden and has a

liking for
the rockery in my front garden too. How do I get rid of this stuff

without
having to pull it out every time I weed the rockery? Incidentally,

I have
quite a few plants and a couple of raspberry canes in said rockery

and I'm
keen to keep those.

I know of nothing except dribbling, spraying or painting with
glyphosate for controlling ground elder.
The usual selective lawn weedkillers like Verdone don't get rid of it.
And don't believe the folk who say it can be eradicated by carefully
grubbing out all the roots. That concept is purely imaginary.

Franz

Old 09-05-2004, 01:05 PM
Franz Heymann

"Brian" wrote in message
Vicky,
I don't know if there is any difference between Roundup for

domestic use
cf. that for agriculture. I seem to remember that 1 litre was used

totally clean 1 acre.
The very best method of application where there is danger to

wanted plants
is to mix the Roundup with wallpaper paste. Apply this to odd plants

by
smearing on their leaves~~by hand, wearing 'throw away' plastic

gloves. The
'paste' can be stored to use again when needed.

It is much easier and much less messy to just mix the Roundup as
normal and apply it in difficult places with an artists' watercolour
brush

[snip]

Franz

Old 09-05-2004, 05:06 PM
Brian

Having tried both, I will stick to my glue!!
Best Wishes Brian.
"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"Brian" wrote in message
Vicky,
I don't know if there is any difference between Roundup for

domestic use
cf. that for agriculture. I seem to remember that 1 litre was used

totally clean 1 acre.
The very best method of application where there is danger to

wanted plants
is to mix the Roundup with wallpaper paste. Apply this to odd plants

by
smearing on their leaves~~by hand, wearing 'throw away' plastic

gloves. The
'paste' can be stored to use again when needed.

It is much easier and much less messy to just mix the Roundup as
normal and apply it in difficult places with an artists' watercolour
brush

[snip]

Franz

Getting rid of ground elder Cat United Kingdom 130 30-10-2003 08:02 AM
Weeds (was Getting rid of ground elder) Victoria Clare United Kingdom 6 24-10-2003 12:22 AM
Help! Ground Elder Mike H United Kingdom 3 12-07-2003 02:32 PM
Help! Ground Elder Mike H Gardening 2 12-07-2003 09:32 AM
Ground elder & plants to grow with it Annabel United Kingdom 20 07-04-2003 04:33 PM