Old 09-05-2004, 01:03 AM
Adam Gottschalk

Default [IBC] Soil Conditioner Equivalent?

In article ,
(Billy M. Rhodes) wrote:

I guess I missed something here. A lot of things can condition soil. It
depends upon what you want it to do. Usually I mean an organic component when
refer to soil conditioner, such as composted pine bark.

This material sounds like it would be a substitute for gravel. Ceramics
usually don't hold water, which of course makes sense if it is meant to hold
plants in a pond.

I think your answer is no.

I felt I missed something too. Indeed, I think of a wide variety of
organic amendments when I think of "conditioner", what a good lab will
tell you to add after a soil test for example, from alfalfa meal to
boron. Ceramic "gravels" are widely used in aquaria (another developing
passion of mine) and are designed to be inert and non-porous. They don't
condition a thing, except in aquaria where they are used as a substrate
in which benefical bacteria can develop.