Old 08-05-2004, 10:05 PM
Jim Sc

Default [IBC] Soil Conditioner Equivalent?

The closest thing I could find to soil conditioner is Schultz's aquatic
plant soil, made from 100% Fuller's Earth. It says it's a natural mineral
that's been kiln fired to create ceramic granules.

I haven't opened it yet, but the picture makes it look like the soil
conditioner. ANyone know if it has similar properties to soil conditioner?

Thanks,

Jim

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 09-05-2004, 12:05 AM
Billy M. Rhodes

I guess I missed something here. A lot of things can condition soil. It
depends upon what you want it to do. Usually I mean an organic component when I
refer to soil conditioner, such as composted pine bark.

This material sounds like it would be a substitute for gravel. Ceramics
usually don't hold water, which of course makes sense if it is meant to hold
plants in a pond.

I think your answer is no.

In a message dated 5/8/2004 4:30:05 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
writes:

The closest thing I could find to soil conditioner is Schultz's aquatic
plant soil, made from 100% Fuller's Earth. It says it's a natural mineral
that's been kiln fired to create ceramic granules.

I haven't opened it yet, but the picture makes it look like the soil
conditioner. Anyone know if it has similar properties to soil conditioner?

Billy on the Florida Space Coast
BSF Annual Convention May 28 - 31, 2004 Radisson Hotel, Cape Canaveral,
Florida
Sponsored by The Bonsai Society of Brevard and the Treasure Coast Bonsai
Society
http://www.bonsaisocietyofbrevard.org/2004/2004.html

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 09-05-2004, 02:04 AM
Kitsune Miko

I agree that the word "conditioner" might be
missapplied.

Gravel, sand, ceramic grave, pumice all serve to add
drainage to bonsai soil mixes. With the fast draining
peroperties, one can feed more often.

I have an automatic watering system that goes off
twice a day. The mix I use is about 2/3 gravel. My
plants are healthy. I don't recommend you follow my
mix if you 1) water less than I do or 2) live in a
place more arid and hotter.

Kitsune Miko
--- Adam Gottschalk wrote:
In article ,
(Billy M. Rhodes) wrote:

I guess I missed something here. A lot of things

can condition soil. It
depends upon what you want it to do. Usually I

mean an organic component when
refer to soil conditioner, such as composted pine

bark.

This material sounds like it would be a substitute

for gravel. Ceramics
usually don't hold water, which of course makes

sense if it is meant to hold
plants in a pond.

I think your answer is no.

I felt I missed something too. Indeed, I think of a
wide variety of
organic amendments when I think of "conditioner",
what a good lab will
tell you to add after a soil test for example, from
alfalfa meal to
boron. Ceramic "gravels" are widely used in aquaria
(another developing
passion of mine) and are designed to be inert and
non-porous. They don't
condition a thing, except in aquaria where they are
used as a substrate
in which benefical bacteria can develop.

++++Sponsored, in part, by John
Quinn++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:

http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
+++++

=====
"Art does not take kindly to facts, is helpless to grapple with theories, and is killed outright by a sermon." Agnes Ropplier
(added to the above)
"How many things in life do we bludgeon with facts, render helpless
with theories, and kill with sermons? If art can help us go beyond
these patterns, we certainly need it in our lives."
Anne Wilson Schaef
From, "Women Who Do Too Much Calandar 2004."