Old 09-05-2004, 08:04 PM
FarmerDill

Default Next year's tomatoes?

After repeated trips to the nursery over several weeks, I finally got
my Roma and Beefsteaks in the ground. About four plants of each.
To avoid being dependent on the nursery, I'm considering starting from
seed (next year).
Any reason I can't take seed from this years growth, dry them, then
use them next year?
If do-able, do I simply scoop out the seeds and let them dry? - Mike

If they are real Roma's and beefsteaks (Scarlet Ponderosa) then simply remove
the seeds from a ripe tomato and wash and dry them. Lots of folks ferment fresh
tomato seeds. does remove the gel from around them but simply dried and stored
until spring works fine, Never had any germination problems. Hybrids will
revert back (about half of them) to their parents generation. Particularly
with older hybrids you can get some interesting results, many of the more
modern hybrids are from inbred lines and you may not notice any deaviations in
the F2 generation.