Old 09-05-2004, 12:03 PM
Michael Horowitz

Default Next year's tomatoes?

After repeated trips to the nursery over several weeks, I finally got
my Roma and Beefsteaks in the ground. About four plants of each.
To avoid being dependent on the nursery, I'm considering starting from
seed (next year).
Any reason I can't take seed from this years growth, dry them, then
use them next year?
If do-able, do I simply scoop out the seeds and let them dry? - Mike
Old 09-05-2004, 05:03 PM
Rez

In article , Michael Horowitz wrote:
After repeated trips to the nursery over several weeks, I finally got
my Roma and Beefsteaks in the ground. About four plants of each.
To avoid being dependent on the nursery, I'm considering starting from
seed (next year).
Any reason I can't take seed from this years growth, dry them, then
use them next year?
If do-able, do I simply scoop out the seeds and let them dry? - Mike

Hybrids may not make the same variety as you started with (in fact
that's generally a risk with a lot of plants) but I can tell you that
tomatoes will volunteer just fine from randomly dropped seeds
(recently I posted here re someone's yard that has been
completely taken over by volunteer tomatoes, originally from seed).

I get volunteer watermelons in my yard all the time. People think
you're strange when you have to mow around a randomly placed
watermelon vine g Last month I found a volunteer strawberry plant
in my yard, probably because birds ate some of the veggie scraps that
I feed to the ants. (We get large ants here that clean up any loose
plant material for a good 30 yards from their nest, including weed
seeds and sticks, not to mention that they kill grasshoppers and stink
beetles, and despite apparently being in the fire ant family they're
nonaggressive -- so I encourage 'em.)

If I were saving seeds, I think I'd let the tomato vine-ripen to the
point of being overripe so the seeds are definitely mature, then scoop
out and dry the seeds.

~REZ~
Old 09-05-2004, 08:04 PM
FarmerDill

After repeated trips to the nursery over several weeks, I finally got
my Roma and Beefsteaks in the ground. About four plants of each.
To avoid being dependent on the nursery, I'm considering starting from
seed (next year).
Any reason I can't take seed from this years growth, dry them, then
use them next year?
If do-able, do I simply scoop out the seeds and let them dry? - Mike

If they are real Roma's and beefsteaks (Scarlet Ponderosa) then simply remove
the seeds from a ripe tomato and wash and dry them. Lots of folks ferment fresh
tomato seeds. does remove the gel from around them but simply dried and stored
until spring works fine, Never had any germination problems. Hybrids will
revert back (about half of them) to their parents generation. Particularly
with older hybrids you can get some interesting results, many of the more
modern hybrids are from inbred lines and you may not notice any deaviations in
the F2 generation.