Old 09-05-2004, 10:06 PM
Lure Action Controller

Default A different way (to fix those flat mower tires

Well I finally got around to fixing all the leaks in my mower's tires,,
it took all four of them to get leaks before I would fix them, these
little battery powered air compressors are nice for blowing up lawn
mower tires

I finally remembered, last time I was at the store to pick up a tire
repair (plug) kit,, I took some bubble stuff the grand daughter had
here, and mixed up a 50/50 with water, and aired the tires up, to check
for the leaks,, none of these tires had rapid leaks, just ones that
would require blowing the tires up every two weeks or so. WEll I found
the three leaks in three tires, each had a pin hole in the threaded
portion,, then I come to one of the front tires,, no leaks in the thread
area,, but I noticed some dry rot cracks around the tire on the side
wall,, and sure enough 4 little leakers from those cracks.

Tube time, or time to buy a tire, neither idea sounded good to me, both
would require breaking down the tire, and the tube would keep me from
plugging any future holes.

Here is a different way to fix a flat, that I came up with

FIrst I jacked up that front wheel, then let all the air out of the
tire, then I pressed down with my hand to flatten the tire over the dry
rot, while still letting the air out, this opened up the cracks. I took
some Permatex Adhesive sealer and soothed out over the cracks, where the
crack was all the way through, the sealant was sucked into the hole
because the tire was trying to retain it's round shape (it had a slight
negative pressure inside as the rubber tries to go back in shape) After
filling the cracks in, I then Opened the valve to let it suck air into
the tire as it retained it's shape, this closed the cracks back up,
squirting out the excessive sealer, I smoothed out the sealer along the
side of the tire, then let this set for 24 hours (the front tire was
still off the ground, and it had zero or a slightly negative inside
pressure.

That was a month ago, still no leaks, I have since fixed two more new
punctures in another tire (these were just holes) using this sealer, and
a similar Procedure making a negative pressure before smearing the
sealer on the hole., then letting the air pressure go back to zero

I don't know if I was the first to come up with it, and I can see no way
to make money from it, but, it sure works for lawn mower tires and their
low pressure

You see I'm an inventor, so I'm always looking for a better way, see
some of my inventions on my web site
--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Long Shot "WIGGLE" rig