Old 10-05-2004, 12:07 AM
Tim Nicholson

Default Spiders!!

On Sat, 8 May 2004 19:19:45 +0100, "shazzbat"
wrote:

We're gardeners, we like spiders. Spiders are our friends.

Steve

Whilst we're on the subject, could someone help me with an
observation? I recently purchased two long black plastic troughs into
which i intend to put growbags with tomato plants. (the troughs are
about 1.5 inches deep, and of a length/width to accomodate a growbag).
I also read somewhere that marigolds are supposed to help keep tomato
plants aphid/parasite free, so I have about tenty or so marigold
plants growing merrily in the greenhouse. A couple of days ago, I put
the pots containing the marigold seedlings into the troughs on the
floor of the greenhouse. As my tomato plants aren't quite ready for
the growbags yet, they're still on the staging. Tonight, when I went
into the greenhouse, I found large numbers of spiders (about
ten/twelve in each trough) crawling about around the marigold plants.
They're not anywhere else in the greenhouse as far as I can tell, and
it's set me wondering.

Do the marigolds work as tomato protection *because* they attract
spiders which then eat the aphids on the nearby tomatos? or is there
another reason? Either way, if they're going to gorge themselves on
all the nasty aphids that come my way, I care not one jot. Long may
they continue!

Tim