Old 08-05-2004, 04:08 PM
Moo

Default Spiders!!

Hello,

I recently moved into a new property and begun work on the garden. At the
bottom there was huge unsightly compost heap which we promptly disposed of.
Living in the compost heap was a whole load of spiders, quite a few have
disappeared but there are loads and loads living in the lawn (they were in
the lawn to start with aswell as the compost heap). I hate spiders,
especially when there are so many of them, is there anything I can do to get
rid of them? I want my girlfriend to be able to sunbathe on the lawn
without fear of twenty spiders running across her legs every few minutes (I
exaggerate not!).

Thanks!

Moo

Old 08-05-2004, 06:05 PM
Harry12

"Moo" wrote in message
Hello,

I recently moved into a new property and begun work on the garden. At the
bottom there was huge unsightly compost heap which we promptly disposed

of.
Living in the compost heap was a whole load of spiders, quite a few have
disappeared but there are loads and loads living in the lawn (they were in
the lawn to start with aswell as the compost heap). I hate spiders,
especially when there are so many of them, is there anything I can do to

get
rid of them? I want my girlfriend to be able to sunbathe on the lawn
without fear of twenty spiders running across her legs every few minutes

(I
exaggerate not!).

Thanks!

You couldn't possibly get rid of spiders in the garden, and if you did you
would be overwhelmed with much more unpleasant and harmful creatures that
they keep in check.
They will not harm your girlfriend, and they do nothing but good in the
garden. Teach her to appreciate what clever creatures they are (and to help
you in the garden rather than laying on the lawn!)

Old 08-05-2004, 06:05 PM
Tumbleweed

"Moo" wrote in message
Hello,

I recently moved into a new property and begun work on the garden. At the
bottom there was huge unsightly compost heap which we promptly disposed

of.
Living in the compost heap was a whole load of spiders, quite a few have
disappeared but there are loads and loads living in the lawn (they were in
the lawn to start with aswell as the compost heap). I hate spiders,
especially when there are so many of them, is there anything I can do to

get
rid of them? I want my girlfriend to be able to sunbathe on the lawn
without fear of twenty spiders running across her legs every few minutes

(I
exaggerate not!).

Thanks!

Moo

Keep the lawn mowed & have a bird table with some food on it? (the birds
will also eat the spiders)

--
Tumbleweed

Remove my socks for email address

Old 08-05-2004, 07:06 PM
Malcolm

In article , Moo
writes
Hello,

I recently moved into a new property and begun work on the garden. At the
bottom there was huge unsightly compost heap which we promptly disposed of.
Living in the compost heap was a whole load of spiders, quite a few have
disappeared but there are loads and loads living in the lawn (they were in
the lawn to start with aswell as the compost heap). I hate spiders,
especially when there are so many of them, is there anything I can do to get
rid of them? I want my girlfriend to be able to sunbathe on the lawn
without fear of twenty spiders running across her legs every few minutes (I
exaggerate not!).

Arachnophobia is certainly unpleasant for the sufferer, but not only do
spiders do a lot of good in the garden (and in the house for that
matter), there is absolutely no chance of you getting rid of them from
your garden. Don't tell your girlfriend, but one study of spiders in
pastures in Sussex estimated there were about 2 million spiders to the
acre. If that is anything like your lawn, then supposing your girlfriend
places a towel 6x3 feet on the grass and then settles down to sunbathe,
she is probably lying on something like 600 of the little dears, which,
at your quoted rate of 20 every few minutes, will take at least 2 or 3
hours to run over her legs!!

--
Malcolm

Old 08-05-2004, 08:03 PM
shazzbat

"Moo" wrote in message
Hello,

I recently moved into a new property and begun work on the garden. At the
bottom there was huge unsightly compost heap which we promptly disposed

of.
Living in the compost heap was a whole load of spiders, quite a few have
disappeared but there are loads and loads living in the lawn (they were in
the lawn to start with aswell as the compost heap). I hate spiders,
especially when there are so many of them, is there anything I can do to

get
rid of them? I want my girlfriend to be able to sunbathe on the lawn
without fear of twenty spiders running across her legs every few minutes

(I
exaggerate not!).

We're gardeners, we like spiders. Spiders are our friends.

But tell your girlfriend not to worry, I'll come round and keep her legs
free of spiders.

Steve

Old 08-05-2004, 08:03 PM
JennyC

"Moo" wrote in message
Hello,

I recently moved into a new property and begun work on the garden. At the
bottom there was huge unsightly compost heap which we promptly disposed of.
Living in the compost heap was a whole load of spiders, quite a few have
disappeared but there are loads and loads living in the lawn (they were in
the lawn to start with aswell as the compost heap). I hate spiders,
especially when there are so many of them, is there anything I can do to get
rid of them? I want my girlfriend to be able to sunbathe on the lawn
without fear of twenty spiders running across her legs every few minutes (I
exaggerate not!).

Thanks!
Moo

I saw a very nifty 'spider catcher' today at a garden show.
It consisted of a clear plastic box with a sliding bottom.
You placed the box with the sliding bit open over the offending beastie and
closed the trap.
The only trouble was that the handle was not three yards long :~)
Jenny

Old 08-05-2004, 11:11 PM
Franz Heymann

"Moo" wrote in message
Hello,

I recently moved into a new property and begun work on the garden.

At the
bottom there was huge unsightly compost heap which we promptly

disposed of.
Living in the compost heap was a whole load of spiders, quite a few

have
disappeared but there are loads and loads living in the lawn (they

were in
the lawn to start with aswell as the compost heap). I hate spiders,
especially when there are so many of them, is there anything I can

do to get
rid of them? I want my girlfriend to be able to sunbathe on the

lawn
without fear of twenty spiders running across her legs every few

minutes (I
exaggerate not!).

I wonder what pests you are harbouring in the garden which have
resulted in such an explosion of spiders to live off them.

Franz

Old 10-05-2004, 12:07 AM
Tim Nicholson

On Sat, 8 May 2004 19:19:45 +0100, "shazzbat"
wrote:

We're gardeners, we like spiders. Spiders are our friends.

Steve

Whilst we're on the subject, could someone help me with an
observation? I recently purchased two long black plastic troughs into
which i intend to put growbags with tomato plants. (the troughs are
about 1.5 inches deep, and of a length/width to accomodate a growbag).
I also read somewhere that marigolds are supposed to help keep tomato
plants aphid/parasite free, so I have about tenty or so marigold
plants growing merrily in the greenhouse. A couple of days ago, I put
the pots containing the marigold seedlings into the troughs on the
floor of the greenhouse. As my tomato plants aren't quite ready for
the growbags yet, they're still on the staging. Tonight, when I went
into the greenhouse, I found large numbers of spiders (about
ten/twelve in each trough) crawling about around the marigold plants.
They're not anywhere else in the greenhouse as far as I can tell, and
it's set me wondering.

Do the marigolds work as tomato protection *because* they attract
spiders which then eat the aphids on the nearby tomatos? or is there
another reason? Either way, if they're going to gorge themselves on
all the nasty aphids that come my way, I care not one jot. Long may
they continue!

Tim

Old 10-05-2004, 10:12 AM
D Russell

wrote:

[...]

I know my greenhouse is infested with small spiders, I think they love the
warmth. However you only really notice them when disturbing the gravel bed,
or when you place a large plastic sided tray in there, since they then fall
in it and have trouble getting out again. It's not just that is it ?
Duncan

Old 10-05-2004, 12:03 PM
Tim Nicholson

On Mon, 10 May 2004 09:12:25 +0100, "D Russell"
wrote:

I know my greenhouse is infested with small spiders, I think they love the
warmth. However you only really notice them when disturbing the gravel bed,
or when you place a large plastic sided tray in there, since they then fall
in it and have trouble getting out again. It's not just that is it ?
Duncan

Ah - that's probably it then - I guess I'll have to make a ramp to let
them out....

Tim

Old 12-05-2004, 04:07 PM
Nick Wagg

"D Russell" wrote in message

I know my greenhouse is infested with small spiders, I think they love the
warmth. However you only really notice them when disturbing the gravel

bed,
or when you place a large plastic sided tray in there, since they then

fall
in it and have trouble getting out again. It's not just that is it ?

Probably. That's why you find spiders in the bath. Nothing to do with
climbing up the plughole - they fall in and can't get out again.
--
Nick Wagg

Old 14-05-2004, 12:03 PM
gary davis

On 5/8/04 2:39 PM, in article , "Franz
Heymann" wrote:

"Moo" wrote in message
[...]

Well, Franz you do pop everywhere with words of encouragement.
She recently moved in...how would she know anything about stuff like
that? And you already know she has nothing to fear.
Why would you ask such a question? Especially at your age?
Gary
Fort Langley, BC
Canada

To contact me directly remove yoursocks...

Old 14-05-2004, 11:08 PM
Franz Heymann

"gary davis" wrote in message
On 5/8/04 2:39 PM, in article ,

"Franz
Heymann" wrote:

"Moo" wrote in message
[...]

I did not suggest that she klnew the answer. I said "I wonder....."
I still wonder what pests she harboured which brought about such an
explosion in the spider polulation.

And you already know she has nothing to fear.

I never suggested anything to the contrary.

Why would you ask such a question?

Because it might be an interesting problem to ponder on.

Especially at your age?

Franz

Spiders Tom Kirkpatrick Lawns 2 28-03-2003 04:44 AM
[IBC] scales (was:Killing little white spiders?) Nina Shishkoff Bonsai 15 31-01-2003 10:58 PM
[IBC] Killing little white spiders? Dave Stegink Bonsai 3 31-01-2003 05:49 PM
[IBC] **** [IBC] scales (was:Killing little white spiders?) Jim Lewis Bonsai 2 31-01-2003 04:43 PM
Gardening & Spiders subbykins{Chrd} United Kingdom 14 15-11-2002 09:59 PM