Old 10-05-2004, 08:02 AM
gary davis

Default Nut trees and SQUIRRELS

On 5/7/04 4:57 AM, in article ,
"Frank Logullo" wrote:

"Ignoramus4443" wrote in message
I would like to plant some nut trees, such as hazelnuts(filberts) and
pecans.

Since we have quite a few squirrels, I am concerned that they will eat
all those nuts. We have a hickory tree and we barely see unbroken
hickory nuts on the ground.

Is this, first, an indication that the nut trees that we are thinking
about planting, are not going to provide us with nuts.

Second, can something be done about squirrels.

I've just about given up in my fight with squirrels. If my lot were open in
the back and wife was not an animal lover I would pop them with low velocity
(low noise) 22 rounds. I've trapped many of them in my Hav-A-Hart and a few
have demised in a large rat trap but I never get a nut from my English
walnuts. I do better with my Chinese chestnuts because squirrels will not
bother them until hulls open. Then I have to pick up nuts twice a day and
also fight off the rats with hooves.
Frank

I have heard that some success has been achieved by putting a net around the
base of walnut trees....like a funnel. It seems the squirrels don't like it
and at the same time the net collects the nuts. It may be worth a try.
Gary
Fort Langley BC
Canada
To reply please remove yoursocks...