Old 10-05-2004, 01:08 PM
Kay Easton

Default improving clay soil

In article , Stephen Williams
writes

The way I tackled it was to concentrate on one small area at a time, as this
seemed a waste of space I decided that the crop that would help the most was
potatoes. Potatoes require you to dig the ground once and then to set
furrows, earth up and then dig out when you need them. So potatoes went
into the spare space - we cooked them every which way that year!

When I was making a new bed, I laid a whole lot of seed potatoes on the
(de-turfed but undug) ground, then covered them with 6 inches of
compost. Got a good crop and some workeable ground for next year. Don't
know how well it would work on pure clay s opposed to very clay-y soil,
but could be an option when you run out of energy to do anything more
elaborate.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: