Old 10-05-2004, 03:02 PM
SugarChile

Default Cannot plant the veg garden this year

Lay down newspapers, about 4-6 sheets thick, in overlapping layers. Have a
hose handy and wet them down as you work to keep them from blowing away.
Then cover with straw, about 6" or so thick. The combination will keep the
ground basically weed free, and will slowly break down so that it is ready
for cultivation in the spring. If you want to put in fall crops in the late
summer, just move the straw aside.

Sue

--

Zone 6, South-central PA

"FEDUP" wrote in message
I have a 30 ft X6 ft area where I have a veggie garden each year. This
year - looks like I might be away for summer. I need some suggestions to
protect the area from weeds. I have already seen about 50 Dandelions

sprung
up!
(Cincinnati/ OHIO- Zone 5)