Old 10-05-2004, 02:02 PM
FEDUP

Default Cannot plant the veg garden this year

I have a 30 ft X6 ft area where I have a veggie garden each year. This
year - looks like I might be away for summer. I need some suggestions to
protect the area from weeds. I have already seen about 50 Dandelions sprung
up!
(Cincinnati/ OHIO- Zone 5)

Old 10-05-2004, 03:02 PM
SugarChile

Lay down newspapers, about 4-6 sheets thick, in overlapping layers. Have a
hose handy and wet them down as you work to keep them from blowing away.
Then cover with straw, about 6" or so thick. The combination will keep the
ground basically weed free, and will slowly break down so that it is ready
for cultivation in the spring. If you want to put in fall crops in the late
summer, just move the straw aside.

Sue

--

Zone 6, South-central PA

Old 10-05-2004, 06:02 PM
nina

"FEDUP" wrote in message
I have a 30 ft X6 ft area where I have a veggie garden each year. This
year - looks like I might be away for summer. I need some suggestions to
protect the area from weeds. I have already seen about 50 Dandelions

sprung
up!
(Cincinnati/ OHIO- Zone 5)

Sow a cover crop, legumes work well.

Old 11-05-2004, 12:02 AM
Peter

On Mon, 10 May 2004 18:17:39 +0530, FEDUP wrote:

I have a 30 ft X6 ft area where I have a veggie garden each year. This
year - looks like I might be away for summer. I need some suggestions to
protect the area from weeds. I have already seen about 50 Dandelions sprung
up!
(Cincinnati/ OHIO- Zone 5)

Put a 6-8" layer of straw on the area. When you are ready to plant it
again, turn the soil and incorporate the straw.

Several years ago, I read of some USDA research where hairy vetch was
planted to restore nitrogen. The plants were knocked down when mature and
became mulch for the crops of tomatoes planted amongst them. According to
the USDA article, yields were high.

Regardless, mulch now and reap the benefits later.

Old 17-05-2004, 06:04 AM
gary davis

On 5/10/04 6:13 AM, in article
, "SugarChile"
wrote:

Lay down newspapers, about 4-6 sheets thick, in overlapping layers. Have a
hose handy and wet them down as you work to keep them from blowing away.
Then cover with straw, about 6" or so thick. The combination will keep the
ground basically weed free, and will slowly break down so that it is ready
for cultivation in the spring. If you want to put in fall crops in the late
summer, just move the straw aside.

Sue

I have read all the suggestions and all are valid. But I have another
idea and it depends upon how long you will be away.
Plant potatoes....cover with sawdust, straw, so that the potatoes will
eventually be able to reach the sun. When you come home, with a little luck,
you will have potatoes!
I haven't given this a lot of thought but it might just work...
Gary
Fort Langley BC
Canada

Old 17-05-2004, 03:02 PM
simy1

gary davis wrote in message ...
On 5/10/04 6:13 AM, in article
, "SugarChile"
wrote:

[...]

this is the best suggestion. No crop is as maintenance-free as
potatoes, and they will shade the ground and help keep weeds down. But
they are not compatible with newspapers. Wood chips are probably best,
straw second best.