Old 10-05-2004, 04:10 PM
Rob Halgren

Default Rebecca Northen orchids

Clare Sleeter wrote:

Anyone out there know how many orchids have been named for this fine
lady?

There are at least two Catasetinae crosses... Which makes things
confusing. One is Catasetum, one is a Catanoches. The Catasetum
Rebecca Northen is a cute little thing, well worth your pennies to pick
one up. Small, pink. It is actually Clowesia, now that they've split
that genus off (confused yet?). The Catanoches (catasetum x cycnoches)
Rebecca Northen is now Clowenoches (clowesia x cycnoches) Rebecca
Northen. It is ok, I guess, but for my money I'd go with Clowesia
Rebecca Northen.

Rob's new rule: Don't give two closely related hybrids the same
name, regardless of how much you like the honoree. It is just too darn
confusing.

There is a Paph. Rebecca Tyson Northen (concolor x purpuratum).
That is all I found using Wildcatt, but that doesn't mean there aren't more.

Rob

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit
4) LittlefrogFarm kinda/sorta/somewhat open for business -
e-mail me for a list )