Old 10-05-2004, 08:06 AM
Clare Sleeter

Default Rebecca Northen orchids

Anyone out there know how many orchids have been named for this fine
lady?

Click here for Free Video!!
http://www.gohip.com/freevideo/

Old 10-05-2004, 04:10 PM
Rob Halgren

Clare Sleeter wrote:

Anyone out there know how many orchids have been named for this fine
lady?

There are at least two Catasetinae crosses... Which makes things
confusing. One is Catasetum, one is a Catanoches. The Catasetum
Rebecca Northen is a cute little thing, well worth your pennies to pick
one up. Small, pink. It is actually Clowesia, now that they've split
that genus off (confused yet?). The Catanoches (catasetum x cycnoches)
Rebecca Northen is now Clowenoches (clowesia x cycnoches) Rebecca
Northen. It is ok, I guess, but for my money I'd go with Clowesia
Rebecca Northen.

Rob's new rule: Don't give two closely related hybrids the same
name, regardless of how much you like the honoree. It is just too darn
confusing.

There is a Paph. Rebecca Tyson Northen (concolor x purpuratum).
That is all I found using Wildcatt, but that doesn't mean there aren't more.

Rob

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit
4) LittlefrogFarm kinda/sorta/somewhat open for business -
e-mail me for a list )
Old 10-05-2004, 04:10 PM
Susan Erickson

On Mon, 10 May 2004 10:05:41 -0400, Rob Halgren
wrote:

Rob's new rule: Don't give two closely related hybrids the same
name, regardless of how much you like the honoree. It is just too darn
confusing.

There is a Paph. Rebecca Tyson Northen (concolor x purpuratum).
That is all I found using Wildcatt, but that doesn't mean there aren't more.

Rob

I would have sworn there was a Catt. But you are as always
correct. I could not believe it when I started running the
Wildcatt check. I wonder how many of the Rebecca's are for her
and they only used the first name. She was a gem.
SuE
Old 11-05-2004, 01:07 AM
Clare Sleeter

I know there's a Dendrob also. Won an award at the 2003 EOC.
Thanks Rob. There have got to be a lot more hybrids out there for this fine
lady. Maybe now in memoriam.

Rob Halgren wrote:

Clare Sleeter wrote:

[...]

Clowesia Rebecca Northern 'Pink Grapefruit' Frank H. Kirchner Orchids 5 01-11-2007 03:54 PM
Memorial for Rebecca Northen nojunk@this_address.com (Mike Pearson Orchids 0 23-05-2004 07:19 AM
RIP Rebecca Northen K Barrett Orchids 3 15-05-2004 11:05 PM
Catasetum Rebecca Northen 'Grapefruit Pink' Shell Orchids 9 21-12-2003 01:12 AM
growing orchids outside = burned orchids? Lil Orchids 5 18-07-2003 04:52 PM