Old 10-05-2004, 05:12 PM

Default Would this work as a ponf bottom cleaner?

I have had a koi pond for almost 10 years. I use a good home built
bio/machanical filter. I have the 10 original fish that I started with that
are huge plus a large assortment of offspring. I do the least amount of
work possible. I keep things simple. I have never had disease and have only
lost a couple of fish over the past years due to winter stress. I have
never vacummed this pond.Never used any chemicals or additives. I have
never check water PH. I do make water changes about every other week of
about 20 percent. Unless we have had allot of rain. I keep things simple.
It is a POND. Not a indoor aquarium. I stay away from all the gimmicks out
there ....just one more thing to spend money on that's not needed. I have
used floating catfish food eclusively(about 18 cents per pound). The
Missouri Boatnical Gardens in St. Louis have used "Krazy Cat" catfish chow
for years and their fish biologist said they have never experienced any ill
effects from it. Thanks MIKE
"Mickey" wrote in message
I am thinking oversized Aquarium Gravel Vac. My pond is above ground so I
can start a siphon, clean the pond and water the plants. I was thinking of
say a 4 foot long piece of 3" dia pipe adapted to a piece of corrugated

sump
pump discharge hose. I could cut the pipe in half and have a threaded
section to shorten the pipe when needed. I could clean from the edge of

the
pond so I could suck more muck out then stir up when you have to wade in

up
to your privates. Not to mention it would be easy and cheap.