Old 07-05-2004, 03:05 AM
Mickey

Default Would this work as a ponf bottom cleaner?

I am thinking oversized Aquarium Gravel Vac. My pond is above ground so I
can start a siphon, clean the pond and water the plants. I was thinking of
say a 4 foot long piece of 3" dia pipe adapted to a piece of corrugated sump
pump discharge hose. I could cut the pipe in half and have a threaded
section to shorten the pipe when needed. I could clean from the edge of the
pond so I could suck more muck out then stir up when you have to wade in up
to your privates. Not to mention it would be easy and cheap.

Old 07-05-2004, 04:03 AM
Remydog

Are you going to run this from a pump or strictly through a siphon? If a
siphon, I don't think you'll get enough suction to make it work.

Old 07-05-2004, 05:04 AM
Snooze

"Mickey" wrote in message
I am thinking oversized Aquarium Gravel Vac. My pond is above ground so I
can start a siphon, clean the pond and water the plants. I was thinking of
say a 4 foot long piece of 3" dia pipe adapted to a piece of corrugated

sump
pump discharge hose. I could cut the pipe in half and have a threaded
section to shorten the pipe when needed. I could clean from the edge of

the
pond so I could suck more muck out then stir up when you have to wade in

up
to your privates. Not to mention it would be easy and cheap.

The reason siphons work in an aquarium is that the tank is often 3-4 feet
above ground. The hose and the collection bucket are on the ground. The
bottom of the pond would have to be atleast a foot or two above ground to
create the suction needed to suck up crud from the bottom.

Sameer

Old 10-05-2004, 12:04 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

IME, having many above ground pondlets, 70 gallons max. this will work,
only I'm wondering how well it will with a 3" diameter hose. I use the
clear tubes that are about 1/2" diameter. Mine can all be done from the
side, so I'll be interested in how a 3" tube works in a pond large enough
to climb into..... for that matter, how you get your mouth around a 3"
tube/hose to start the siphon. ;o)

The suction would only stop if you were filling another container and its
level became the same as the ponds.

Old 10-05-2004, 12:05 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

The reason siphons work in an aquarium is that the tank is often 3-4 feet
above ground. The hose and the collection bucket are on the ground. The
bottom of the pond would have to be atleast a foot or two above ground to
create the suction needed to suck up crud from the bottom.
Sameer

It will work, but one does get better suction from the great drop, at least
it appears that way, bucket fills faster. ~ jan

Old 10-05-2004, 01:04 AM
Mickey

I used 1.5" hose the leaves and various other junk were soft enough to move
through the hose. I was not using my mouth a shopVac works great for
starting a siphon. The veggie filter worked especially well since it is
further above the ground. I need better suction for the main pond. I am
think of one of those shop vacs with a built in pump. It says 6 gpm and
discharges though a garden hose. I could have the wife water plants while I
am cleaning the pond :0). I could design my own system but it would not be
as well built compact or versatile. Anyone know of a good already built
system for ponds ?

s.com...

Old 10-05-2004, 05:12 PM

I have had a koi pond for almost 10 years. I use a good home built
bio/machanical filter. I have the 10 original fish that I started with that
are huge plus a large assortment of offspring. I do the least amount of
work possible. I keep things simple. I have never had disease and have only
lost a couple of fish over the past years due to winter stress. I have
never vacummed this pond.Never used any chemicals or additives. I have
never check water PH. I do make water changes about every other week of
about 20 percent. Unless we have had allot of rain. I keep things simple.
It is a POND. Not a indoor aquarium. I stay away from all the gimmicks out
there ....just one more thing to spend money on that's not needed. I have
used floating catfish food eclusively(about 18 cents per pound). The
Missouri Boatnical Gardens in St. Louis have used "Krazy Cat" catfish chow
for years and their fish biologist said they have never experienced any ill
effects from it. Thanks MIKE
"Mickey" wrote in message
I am thinking oversized Aquarium Gravel Vac. My pond is above ground so I
can start a siphon, clean the pond and water the plants. I was thinking of
say a 4 foot long piece of 3" dia pipe adapted to a piece of corrugated

sump
pump discharge hose. I could cut the pipe in half and have a threaded
section to shorten the pipe when needed. I could clean from the edge of

the
pond so I could suck more muck out then stir up when you have to wade in

up
to your privates. Not to mention it would be easy and cheap.

Plants you would f*** if you knew no1 would find out tuliplover69 Garden Photos 3 26-12-2008 07:17 PM
Work, Work, Work Hud Edible Gardening 21 10-05-2007 12:23 AM
WOULD THIS WORK AS A POND? BC DEX Ponds 14 16-08-2004 04:36 AM
WOULD THIS WORK AS A POND? BC DEX Ponds 0 15-08-2004 11:22 AM
Pump to bottom drain - would this work? RichToyBox Ponds 3 08-05-2003 03:32 PM