Old 10-05-2004, 08:14 PM
tuin man

Default improving clay soil

"Mike & Karen" wrote in message
Well I say clay soil, but really it is just clay. I'd probably be very
happy if I was a potter, but for growing veg I am finding it a bit of a
challenge.
My 6m x 9m veg plot is very heavy clay and the land has been unused for
some years.

Sniped.

So all this rambling for a simple question....

Far be it for me to judge.

What is going to do most good for my garden - a couple of tonnes of
horse much every year, or this year should i try a couple of tonnes of
sharp sand in the hope it will make the soil less claggy and more sandy?
Or is there something else I could try to add?

Gypsum (from builders merchants) (plaster that is 100% gypsum)
1 bag should be enough for that space.

How long might it take to get the soil workable?

ooh it's quick.

Might, say, ... overnight be fast enough?

Patrick