Old 10-05-2004, 10:03 PM
Mike LaMana

Default Magnolia looking Wilted?

My experience is that Magnolias (especially the 'large-leaf" group) is tough
to transplant well in the northeast. I have had large M. ashei, M.
macrophylla, M. fraseri all stall once they have been dug. The stall
sometimes lasted for 4+ years.

As for the wilting, this is to be expected...but managed. Do not let the
tree stress for adequate moisture. I would use a soil-moisture measuring
device such as a tensiometer to determine when to actually water.

If soil moisture is OK, you may to try an overheard mist system to reduce
the rate of evaporation from the foliage. During the hot part of the day,
mist the foliage for 15 min. intervals a few times per day. The idea is to
keep the tree from reaching internal wilting point until it has time to grow
new roots to provide it with soil moisture.

Good luck.

--
Mike LaMana, MS
Heartwood Consulting Services, LLC

"Dawn" wrote in message
om...
We just bought a house and one of the deciding factors was the huge
Magnolia tree in the front yard. Over the last few weeks we have been
watching with much anticipation the fattening buds, waiting for them
to bloom. I am growing concerned that the tree looks wilted and
droopy (like a house plant needing watering) and there seems to be a
lot of leaves turning brown and falling off.

Is this normal? Is the tree using it energy to blossom? or should we
be concerned?

TIA,
Dawn