Old 11-05-2004, 02:03 AM
styxx374

Default Name that tree - Paulownia

Yes, I made the mistake of planting purple loosestrife a couple of years
ago. It's a serious workout trying to pull it out in the spring.....

"escapee" wrote in message
Hey, I saw a garden center selling purple loosetrife and when I pointed it
out,
the manager argued with me that it "wasn't the one which is the noxious
weed."
I said, "yes it is." She walked away. She is also selling Nandina
domestica
and wax leaf ligustrum and Chinese tallow. I may give misinformation here
now
and then, I know I'm not perfect, but these garden centers suck. I reported
her
only because she would not even consider for a moment that I knew what I was
talking about.

On Fri, 07 May 2004 20:34:48 GMT, "Cereus-validus"

opined:

Yes you have said that.

However, Paulownia tomentosa is the weedy species running rampant over the
countryside and that is where he saw it, not planted in someone's garden.

"escapee" wrote in message
.. .
I know I've said this before, but I have a Paulownia kavakamii and it

does not
overbear with seeds and plants. P.tomentosa, now that is certainly

noxious.

On Fri, 07 May 2004 01:44:17 GMT, "Cereus-validus"

opined:

The down side is that the large seed pods are full of a multitude of

minute
winged seeds that get carried by the wind and plantlets will pop up
everywhere in the garden and elsewhere they were not invited. Being a

weed
is bad enough but a weedy tree that overpowers native shrubs and trees

is
far worse threat. Only the so-called "Tree of Heaven" has been more
destructive.

"Bill Oliver" wrote in message
In article ,
Cereus-validus wrote:
Every year when it blooms there is a flood of inquiries about this

weed
tree.

Princess Tree (Paulownia tomentosa)

Its an escape from China.

That's it. Thanks. A quick Google on it comes up with repeated
statements that it is not an appropriate tree for landscaping,
but the sites weren't clear on why. It sure is pretty when
it blooms, and I don't have a problem with big leaves. What's
the down side?

billo