Old 11-05-2004, 04:13 AM
gary davis

Default improving clay soil

On 5/10/04 12:08 PM, in article , "tuin man"
wrote:

"Mike & Karen" wrote in message
Well I say clay soil, but really it is just clay. I'd probably be very
happy if I was a potter, but for growing veg I am finding it a bit of a
challenge.
My 6m x 9m veg plot is very heavy clay and the land has been unused for
some years.

Sniped.

So all this rambling for a simple question....

Far be it for me to judge.

What is going to do most good for my garden - a couple of tonnes of
horse much every year, or this year should i try a couple of tonnes of
sharp sand in the hope it will make the soil less claggy and more sandy?
Or is there something else I could try to add?

Gypsum (from builders merchants) (plaster that is 100% gypsum)
1 bag should be enough for that space.

How long might it take to get the soil workable?

ooh it's quick.

Might, say, ... overnight be fast enough?

Patrick

Patrick
Adding gypsum solves a clay problem? How does this work or did I miss
something?
Gary
Fort Langley BC
Canada