Old 08-02-2003, 05:43 PM
Lee Hall

Default Mr. Stripey

(James Mayer) wrote in message ...
Has anyone grown these tomatoes and are they any good or are they
just a novelty?

I have grown them, or attempted to, for the last two years. I
normally start all my plants from seed but my granddaughter is a big
Mr. Stripey fan so I bought both of these plants locally. The 2001
plant was one of the biggest bushiest plants I have ever grown but did
not produce a single tomato. The buds would form but they always
dropped off before forming a fruit. This is the only plant I have
ever grown that had this problem. Last year's Mr. Stripey produced
very well. It was also a very large bushy plant but it produced quite
a few tomatoes, averaging about 16 ounces. My Mr. Stripeys were a
very sweet tasting tomato. I like my tomatoes a little more tart but
several people who tried these liked them a lot.

Lee Hall
Zone 6B - Tennessee