Old 12-05-2004, 11:03 AM
Ray

Default My first orchid. (what is it?)

What you've got there, TO, is a phalaenopsis, or "moth orchid." It is doubtful that you'll get a
more specific ID, but that should suffice.

From my perspective, they are actually one of the least fussy orchids out there, and many beginners
find them to be particularly easy to grow. They seem to do quite well if grown along side of
African Violets, if that's any help to you.

There is info all over the web about them, but you might start with checking out the culture
information under the Free InformationBasic Culture links at my website (URL below).

One of the key things to remember about orchids is that they are primarily a group of epiphytic
plants, so they need lots of air flow to the root system in addition to water and nutrition.

.. . . . . . . . . . .
"Toronto Orchids" wrote in message
s.com...
Hey guys n' gals...

stumbled across this message board while in google and you all seem to
know the goods on orchids so I registered hoping somebody could assist
me in identifying my orchid.

My girlfriend bought me an orchid for my birthday. Why she would
choose such a 'fussy' flower is beyond me... as I don't fancy myself
the 'nurturing' type. I know nothing about orchids and have only
heard comments that would lead me to believe it is very difficult to
take care of.

First off... here's a couple pictures of the orchid.

[image: http://a6.cpimg.com/image/68/A0/3347...-01800200-.jpg]

[image: http://a7.cpimg.com/image/69/A0/3347...-02000180-.jpg]

How can I identify this orchid ?

thanks a whole bunch in advance for all your time.

p.
--
Toronto Orchids