Old 12-05-2004, 06:02 PM
Janet Baraclough..

Default Desperate, or I wouldn't advertise -- warning: wind chimes

The message
from Frogleg contains these words:

Also, while I agree that we all have too much Stuff, refraining from
acquistion is not going to feed the hungry.

It would save some finite energy reserves, and reduce pollution.

In fact, 'consumerism'
drives the US economy -- if everyone bought only what they needed,
millions (more) would be jobless.

Much of the "stuff" consumed by the western world is often produced at
the expense of dismal conditions in the thirdworld; cheap beef, luxury
cash crops and designer trainers, to mention a few. Don't fool yourself
that excessive consumerism is justified by supporting more jobs in your
own country; manufacturing is in vast decline in the western world.

Janet.