Old 12-05-2004, 07:02 PM
Vox Humana

Default deer and planting questions

"rosie" wrote in message
i just purchased a house where deer have been known to
roam..................
i am planning to do some planting, and wonder if someone has a site
recommendation of plants NOT to use because of deer.

so far i KNOW i want a grove of lilacs, and lilly of the valley .

It's really hard to advise you since we don't know where you live. I would
suggest that you check with your state's cooperative extension agency (each
county has an office). You can also do a google search on deer resistant
plants. Please be aware that there are few plants that deer won't eat under
harsh circumstances. As winter concludes and the deer are very hungry, they
will eat nearly anything. I find that they come increasingly closer to my
house in late winter, presumably taking more risks as food supplies dwindle
and their fat reserves are used.