Old 12-05-2004, 03:02 PM
rosie

Default deer and planting questions

i just purchased a house where deer have been known to
roam..................
i am planning to do some planting, and wonder if someone has a site
recommendation of plants NOT to use because of deer.

so far i KNOW i want a grove of lilacs, and lilly of the valley .

--

CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY
United States: http://www.stopthehunger.com/

Old 12-05-2004, 07:02 PM
Vox Humana

"rosie" wrote in message
i just purchased a house where deer have been known to
roam..................
i am planning to do some planting, and wonder if someone has a site
recommendation of plants NOT to use because of deer.

so far i KNOW i want a grove of lilacs, and lilly of the valley .

It's really hard to advise you since we don't know where you live. I would
suggest that you check with your state's cooperative extension agency (each
county has an office). You can also do a google search on deer resistant
plants. Please be aware that there are few plants that deer won't eat under
harsh circumstances. As winter concludes and the deer are very hungry, they
will eat nearly anything. I find that they come increasingly closer to my
house in late winter, presumably taking more risks as food supplies dwindle
and their fat reserves are used.

Old 12-05-2004, 11:09 PM
Gary and Karen Manning

I have had lily of the valley and lilacs in deer country for many years.
The deer seem to nibble on newly planted lilacs but don't seem to bother
them much.

Gary

Old 16-05-2004, 05:02 AM
Kim E.

In article ,
says...
i just purchased a house where deer have been known to
roam..................
i am planning to do some planting, and wonder if someone has a site
recommendation of plants NOT to use because of deer.

so far i KNOW i want a grove of lilacs, and lilly of the valley .

I have the same problem and did a google search for "deer resistant
plants" which came up with some good hits. Also, my local nursery had
info sheets on the subject. Here is the list i compiled from various
sources:

-kim

Annuals Perennials

Ageratum Alyssum Heather
Alyssum Artemesia Heuchera
Begonia Astilbe Purple
Coneflower
Dusty Miller Aster Hellebore
(Christmas/Lenten rose)
Forget-me-not Baby's Breath Lily-of-the-Valley

Foxglove Balloon Flower Lupine
Gaillardia Bellflower Monarda
Marigold Bergenia Poppy
Morning Glory Buttercup Primrose
Nasturtium Candytuft Salvia
Ornamental pepper Chrysanthemum Shasta Daisy
Salvia Coreopsis Snow-in-Summer
Scented Geranium Columbine Sundrops
Snapdragon Daffodils Statice
Stock Dianthus Viola