Old 12-05-2004, 07:14 PM
Stephen Howard

Default Introduction and rocket question

On Wed, 12 May 2004 18:36:01 +0100, Brian
wrote:

Hi everyone
My name's Brian, and I live with my family in Norfolk. I'm new to veg
growing generally, so I've been lurking around the group for a while
now, and I've already found you all very helpful. I have a question
though. I planted some rocket a while ago, along with some lettuce
and herbs. I looked this morning, and something's hammered the rocket,
but left everything else untouched. A lot of the leaves have gone
totally, except for bits of stalk - a lot of the remaining leaves have
small holes in them. It looks to me as if something like a bird has
pecked some, because it seems something has torn the leaves off. On
the other hand it obviously wasn't a bird that caused the small holes
in the remaining ones. Surely a bird and a bug haven't teemed up to do
a double whammy? Any advice would be great.
Brian

It's flea beetle.

See a recent thread entitled "Small black beetle types on swede
seedlings" for pertinent advice.
Pigeons and other birds will attack Rocket, and other member of the
Brassica family.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk