Old 13-05-2004, 05:10 AM
Jim and Phyllis Hurley

Default Keeping water hyacinths out of skimmers

Hose ring: If you want to constrain the WH, you can make a hose ring by
joining the ends of a hunk of hose with a PVC or wooden dowel insert. You
can also get clear tubing at your hardware store. The hyacinths soon hang
over the edge and the tubing is invisible. You can anchor the ring to the
side or bottom to prevent it from moving.

Skimmer separated out: Alternately, you can put a ring around your
skimmer...but that is likely to defeat the skimmer's skimming.

Stable 'pen': If you can close of a part of your pond, you can put a piece
of fishing line from side to side.

We a penninsula sticking into the pond with 'legs' on either side. We have
some hyacinths penned in there by fishing line accross the end. The
goldfish and koi like to hang out under them. They don't float into the
pond that way. You can see the penned legs on our website (below) Look on
the right side of the full pond photo on the opening page of the site.

Good luck

Phyllis

Ask me about Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $120+ per child) at: jogathon.net

"Remydog" wrote in message
Any suggestions other than -- duh, don't put in any water hyacinths! We

like
them and they're kind of neat floating around.