Old 13-05-2004, 06:04 PM
Craig Cowing

Default [IBC] Juniper rescue

Allen wrote:

(Jim Lewis) wrote in message

If you are disastrously not successful, you'll know inside a
month, maybe 6 weeks.

Otherwise, if it clings stubbornly to life you'll be on
tenterhooks through the winter and into spring before you find
out whether it decides to make it. I have had late-collected
juniper put out new growth the following spring, then decide it
took too much stored-up energy to maintain it, and wither away.

Superthrive will neither help nor (probably) hurt.

What i really wanted to know was: How soon I can start treating these
junipers like junipers and put them in the sun ? I'm not going to do
any 'bonsai' work or cause them any further stress until they get some
new growth next spring for sure ! I just don't want them to languish
in the cooler shade when they need to be junipers. So ... 6 weeks
you think ?

If it were me I'd wait until I saw new growth, then gradually introduce them to
full sun over the course of the next few weeks. Even though they eventually will
require full sun, they are not at full strength right now because they've just been
collected.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37