Old 13-05-2004, 09:05 PM
Mark Bannister

Default Pond pump sizing

I've seen a tremendous amount of conflicting advice on pump sizing. An
afternoon of reading all this has left me confused. We are installing a
small (700 gallons, 3 feet deep, US zone 7a) pond and would like a few
fish, mainly plants though. I've got a few questions if anyone has the time.
Too small for a koi or two?
Should water turn-over be 2-3 times an hour as some sites suggest
(that's a lot of water to move)?
Why are there not any pond pump head calculators out there? Can I just
not find them? If there really aren't any, and if someone would point
out someplace I can get reliable numbers and equations, I will throw one
together if someone has a place to put it. It will be rainy this
weekend and I need something to do.

Mark B.