Old 13-05-2004, 10:11 PM
[H]omer

Default Identify soil type for wildflower meadow?

On Thu, 13 May 2004 18:31:20 +0100, wrote:

The message
from "[H]omer" contains these words:

Hi,

I'm going to be sowing a wildflower meadow in a steep verge at the back of
our garden, approx 40ft long X 14ft high with a flat top about 6ft wide.

Meadow ecologies are maintained either by grazing animals, or by
people imitating grazing by cutting and removing all the topgrowth.

We have wabbits.

Seriously though, sure ... I'll be cutting it - somehow.

You need to think very carefully about how you are going to regularly
mow a steep slope 14ft high.

Would a strimmer be OK?

I was only planning on maintaining the flat top area anyway, and just let
the slope remain wild.

Your climate is neither as wet, nor as mild, as Ireland's. If you go
ahead, your best source of advice and seed is local. I recommend Jupiter
plants which are in East Scotland

Thanks, I'll look them up.

-
[H]omer