Old 14-05-2004, 02:13 PM
Victoria Clare

Default Identify soil type for wildflower meadow?

"[H]omer" wrote in
news

Seriously though, sure ... I'll be cutting it - somehow.

You need to think very carefully about how you are going to
regularly
mow a steep slope 14ft high.

Would a strimmer be OK?

I was only planning on maintaining the flat top area anyway, and just
let the slope remain wild.

I find a little light wheeled lawnmower is easier than a strimmer,
unless it's waist high (not a flymo, they are crap). Most of my garden
is steep banks.

You can roll the mower down the slope from the top on the end of a rope,
if it's too steep to easily stand on, and you decided you wanted to keep
it shorter.

(If it's too steep even for that, you could do what my neighbour does,
and use a hedgecutter to'mow' it!)

Cowparsley, red campion, foxgloves and ramsons are wildflowers that seem
to be able to compete with docks* & nettles, as well as the bluebells
Kay mentioned. At least, they do down here - dunno about where you are,
but keep an eye out this year to see what is in bloom in similar
locations.

I wouldn't start those from seed unless I had to though. I'd beg roots
off someone who was doing some weeding!

* I can actually see the joy of a mass of docks when they flower and
then
the leaves go all red. But no-one ever agrees with me...

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall