Old 14-05-2004, 07:16 PM
Rod

Default Topsoil suppliers

On Fri, 14 May 2004 09:50:28 +0100, Tim Nicholson
wrote:

Hi again

Could any of you recommend a supplier of quality topsoil in Ayrshire?
I think I'm going to need around 4 - 6 tonnes of the stuff to fill the
new raised veggie beds we've created, and from a quick google (and a
trawl through the yellow pages) prices seem to vary considerably. My
guess is that the lower the price, the lower the quality goes, and as
I don't want to have to break down large lumps of clay (that's why
we're building the beds in the first place), I'm prepared to pay a bit
extra for something I know will be good for the job. Rolawn seem to
offer a high quality 'blended loam' although at a high price, so does
anyone know of a comparable quality product from a lesser known name
who might be a bit cheaper?

Thanks

Tim

Find out where the local landscapers go. 'blended loam' from a good
supplier should be good. The original soil will probably be from
agricultural land being turned over to development and will be
screened so largely free of rocks, perennial weeds etc and will have
some ameliorators added, things like sharp grit/sand, mushroom compost
etc.

Rod

Weed my email address to reply