Old 15-05-2004, 01:02 PM
Mosfunland

Default Bee Balm

And why is your water hyacinth in a pot? It floats!

Well the bee balm sprigs broke off when I was planting it in the garden, and I
know it likes moisture thus the experiment. I put it in last week, and it
still looks great. Maybe it won't bloom.. it's a trial and error thing.

The hyacinth is floating, but in a mesh pot that sits on a ledge and the sides
just come above the water. It keeps it corraled and the fish will leave it
alone till it looks prosperous. (in four days it sent two runners out)...... I
also am trying to let the azola that came attached to it, grow. The fish will
eat it in a heart beat if it is floating.

By July I'll be composting hyacinths....but they are invaluable in my pond, I
don't feed the fish often. Maybe on occasion if there are children around, or
if I want to see them. But I have been feeding them this spring, since I
cleaned everything out, and don't have lush algae yet....it's starting to look
nice though.

What a nice area you have created....a nice place to gather!

Maureen