Old 15-05-2004, 02:08 AM
Mosfunland

Default Bee Balm

I just put a couple of sprigs into a mesh pot that my ONE (and rapidly
reproducing) waterhyacinth is in. Does anyone have experience with this in the
pond? It seems to be doing well...

Thanks
Maureen in Phila
Old 15-05-2004, 01:02 PM
Mosfunland

And why is your water hyacinth in a pot? It floats!

Well the bee balm sprigs broke off when I was planting it in the garden, and I
know it likes moisture thus the experiment. I put it in last week, and it
still looks great. Maybe it won't bloom.. it's a trial and error thing.

The hyacinth is floating, but in a mesh pot that sits on a ledge and the sides
just come above the water. It keeps it corraled and the fish will leave it
alone till it looks prosperous. (in four days it sent two runners out)...... I
also am trying to let the azola that came attached to it, grow. The fish will
eat it in a heart beat if it is floating.

By July I'll be composting hyacinths....but they are invaluable in my pond, I
don't feed the fish often. Maybe on occasion if there are children around, or
if I want to see them. But I have been feeding them this spring, since I
cleaned everything out, and don't have lush algae yet....it's starting to look
nice though.

What a nice area you have created....a nice place to gather!

Maureen

Old 19-05-2004, 12:17 AM
Anne Lurie

It would be a neat sight indeed if the Bee Balm in the pond flowered &
attracted hummingbirds! I'm tempted to go pull up a sprig or two & try
that.

I may try Water Hyacinth in a (heavily weighted!) pot, as the last one
lasted about 1 day before the "dog toy" disappeared from the teeny water
garden.

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

Old 19-05-2004, 02:06 AM
Mosfunland

The beebalm is holding its own!!!! looks like some new growth at the tips, I
haven't touched it...hey toss a couple snips in, can't hurt, and it just might
bloom...
Maureen

..It would be a neat sight indeed if the Bee Balm in the pond flowered &
attracted hummingbirds! I'm tempted to go pull up a sprig or two & try

Monarda didyma (Bee Balm) HA HA Budys Here Gardening 5 16-07-2004 09:02 PM
Bee Balm T&D From NC North Carolina 0 04-05-2004 09:07 PM
Bee Balm Seedlings Fleemo Gardening 13 26-03-2004 01:42 AM
Help with Bee Balm Jeff Hancock Gardening 3 02-06-2003 10:56 PM
The bee balm from hell Dan Gardening 8 12-05-2003 12:20 PM