Old 15-05-2004, 01:02 PM
JennyC

Default Greenfly / Ladybirds

"martin" wrote in message
On Sat, 15 May 2004 11:06:51 +0200, "JennyC" wrote:

Hi all
I went out this morning armed with my sudsy methelated sprit mix to do the

deed
on the greenfly that are starting to appear on my roses.........I'd sprayed a
couple of bushes when I noticed loads of ladybirds on the next rose shrub. Of
course I stopped spraying and let them do their job :~)

Question is will the already sprayed bits have a detrimental effect on the
L.birds ?? Do they eat sprayed Greenfly ?

Our roses are covered in blackfly, there's no sign of any ladybirds
coming to rescue.

Is any sort of suds o.k. or does it have to be old fashioned soap suds
and not washing up liquid suds. I didn't know that meths helped to
kill them.

It seems to make it more potent somehow,
I started using it on mealybugs and find the mix works for greenfly too. I use
liquid 'groene zeep' which is something like the horticultural soap I hear
people mention in URG

Jenny