Old 15-05-2004, 11:06 AM
JennyC

Default Greenfly / Ladybirds

Hi all
I went out this morning armed with my sudsy methelated sprit mix to do the deed
on the greenfly that are starting to appear on my roses.........I'd sprayed a
couple of bushes when I noticed loads of ladybirds on the next rose shrub. Of
course I stopped spraying and let them do their job :~)

Question is will the already sprayed bits have a detrimental effect on the
L.birds ?? Do they eat sprayed Greenfly ?

Jenny

Old 15-05-2004, 11:07 AM
martin

On Sat, 15 May 2004 11:06:51 +0200, "JennyC" wrote:

Hi all
I went out this morning armed with my sudsy methelated sprit mix to do the deed
on the greenfly that are starting to appear on my roses.........I'd sprayed a
couple of bushes when I noticed loads of ladybirds on the next rose shrub. Of
course I stopped spraying and let them do their job :~)

Question is will the already sprayed bits have a detrimental effect on the
L.birds ?? Do they eat sprayed Greenfly ?

Our roses are covered in blackfly, there's no sign of any ladybirds
coming to rescue.

Is any sort of suds o.k. or does it have to be old fashioned soap suds
and not washing up liquid suds. I didn't know that meths helped to
kill them.
Old 15-05-2004, 01:02 PM
JennyC

"martin" wrote in message
On Sat, 15 May 2004 11:06:51 +0200, "JennyC" wrote:

Hi all
I went out this morning armed with my sudsy methelated sprit mix to do the

deed
on the greenfly that are starting to appear on my roses.........I'd sprayed a
couple of bushes when I noticed loads of ladybirds on the next rose shrub. Of
course I stopped spraying and let them do their job :~)

Question is will the already sprayed bits have a detrimental effect on the
L.birds ?? Do they eat sprayed Greenfly ?

Our roses are covered in blackfly, there's no sign of any ladybirds
coming to rescue.

Is any sort of suds o.k. or does it have to be old fashioned soap suds
and not washing up liquid suds. I didn't know that meths helped to
kill them.

It seems to make it more potent somehow,
I started using it on mealybugs and find the mix works for greenfly too. I use
liquid 'groene zeep' which is something like the horticultural soap I hear
people mention in URG

Jenny

Old 15-05-2004, 05:11 PM
Kevin Groves

I've used highly diluted fairly liquid on my roses for years (my parents
did too) and it does the business. Doesnt seem to put off ladybirds as I
seem to have quite a few around - big ones too.

Kev,
Old 15-05-2004, 07:15 PM
Franz Heymann

"Kevin Groves" wrote in message
I've used highly diluted fairly liquid on my roses for years (my

parents
did too) and it does the business. Doesnt seem to put off ladybirds

as I
seem to have quite a few around - big ones too.

How highly diluted?
How many teaspoons per pint?

Franz

Old 16-05-2004, 10:12 AM
JennyC

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"Kevin Groves" wrote in message
I've used highly diluted fairly liquid on my roses for years (my

parents
did too) and it does the business. Doesnt seem to put off ladybirds

as I
seem to have quite a few around - big ones too.

How highly diluted?
How many teaspoons per pint?

Franz

My 'recipe' is a squirt of soap + a dollop of meths in a handheld sprayer - I
guess it holds a litre.
Not at all academic .......
Jenny

Old 16-05-2004, 10:17 AM
Kevin Groves

Franz Heymann wrote:

How highly diluted?
How many teaspoons per pint?

I've never measured it. It's a half litre spayer and I sqirt no more
than 2 table spoons if there are a good number of insects to kill off. I
then spray only the infected areas as close as possible to cover and the
force wipes some of them off. As soon as I see any other insects such as
ladybirds, spiders or non-green fly really I stop or aim away from them.

Kev,
Old 16-05-2004, 01:11 PM
Franz Heymann

Franz Heymann wrote:

How highly diluted?
How many teaspoons per pint?

I've never measured it. It's a half litre spayer and I sqirt no more
than 2 table spoons if there are a good number of insects to kill

off. I
then spray only the infected areas as close as possible to cover and

the
force wipes some of them off. As soon as I see any other insects

such as
ladybirds, spiders or non-green fly really I stop or aim away from

them.

Thanks to JennyC and Kevin. Between her "dollop" and his
"tablespoonfuls" I will get the job done.

Franz

plethora of ladybirds Phil L United Kingdom 8 26-04-2005 09:48 AM
Ladybirds Troy United Kingdom 32 27-03-2005 10:55 PM
Ladybirds galore Pam Morris United Kingdom 2 27-03-2005 10:50 AM
Ladybirds Troy United Kingdom 2 18-04-2004 05:07 AM
where are all the ladybirds? Pickle United Kingdom 6 08-07-2003 06:32 AM