Old 15-05-2004, 10:13 PM
Chris Hogg

Default Bluebells turned pink; and a sick apple

On Sat, 15 May 2004 13:53:43 +0100, "Brian"
wrote:

There are a number of genes involved in the flower colour of bluebells. Pink
is recessive and can be passed through numerous generations till Xed with
another carrying the same recessive gene. 5 years is ample time. There is
another .doubly recessive, gene that can produce white flowers. Neither of
these indicates being infected with alien species. An ultra rare combination
of alleles can increase the intensity of pink to magenta~or dilute till
barely shell pink.
They are not more common because the genes are recessive, and doubly
recessive, and it is highly probable that the insects involved have an
instinctive preference for the blue.
Best Wishes Brian

We have a single, white, regrettably Spanish bluebell in our garden
(I've eliminated all the blue ones, and am growing English bluebells
from seed collected late last summer, but they only germinated earlier
this year). As I like the white one, I was hoping to collect the seed
and increase the numbers. Are they likely to come true?

--
Chris