Old 16-05-2004, 01:05 PM
Frogleg

Default temp and tomato fruit set

On Sat, 15 May 2004 17:36:01 GMT, "Norma J. Briggs" nbriggs@(NO
SPAM)houston.rr.com wrote:

Is it true what I read about the fruit not setting in night time temps are
too high? I have read mixed reports and am not sure what to think (like
there is anything I can do about it short of putting a fan in the garden at
night-which btw: I don't see myself doing)

Where did you read that? Tomatoes will fail to bloom and/or set fruit
when *daytime* temperatures get above 90F, or some such, and tomato
plants don't care for nighttime temperatures in the 40s, but I've
never heard about some nighttime upper-limit temperature. Tomatoes
just slow down when it's really, really hot. Around here, that means
hot night AND day. Less humid climates cool a lot more at night. And
"slow down" doesn't mean they stop or die -- they just become
somewhat less productive for a while.