Old 15-05-2004, 07:13 PM
Norma J. Briggs

Default temp and tomato fruit set

Is it true what I read about the fruit not setting in night time temps are
too high? I have read mixed reports and am not sure what to think (like
there is anything I can do about it short of putting a fan in the garden at
night-which btw: I don't see myself doing)

Norma

---

Old 15-05-2004, 09:04 PM
belly

On Sat, 15 May 2004 17:36:01 GMT in
, "Norma J. Briggs"
nbriggs@(NO SPAM)houston.rr.com graced the world with this thought:

http://www.gardeners.com/sell.asp?ProdGroupID=18750
Old 16-05-2004, 01:05 PM
Frogleg

On Sat, 15 May 2004 17:36:01 GMT, "Norma J. Briggs" nbriggs@(NO
SPAM)houston.rr.com wrote:

Is it true what I read about the fruit not setting in night time temps are
too high? I have read mixed reports and am not sure what to think (like
there is anything I can do about it short of putting a fan in the garden at
night-which btw: I don't see myself doing)

Where did you read that? Tomatoes will fail to bloom and/or set fruit
when *daytime* temperatures get above 90F, or some such, and tomato
plants don't care for nighttime temperatures in the 40s, but I've
never heard about some nighttime upper-limit temperature. Tomatoes
just slow down when it's really, really hot. Around here, that means
hot night AND day. Less humid climates cool a lot more at night. And
"slow down" doesn't mean they stop or die -- they just become
somewhat less productive for a while.
Old 16-05-2004, 05:06 PM
Rez

In article , Frogleg wrote:
Where did you read that? Tomatoes will fail to bloom and/or set fruit
when *daytime* temperatures get above 90F, or some such, and tomato

No one told the random tomatoes we planted here the past couple years.
The hotter it got the better they liked it. And we often get a couple
weeks with daytime temps regularly hitting 115F. This year's random
tomatos (freebies from the fair, one is Champion and I forget the
other variety, maybe Challenger??) decided to bloom for the first time
during a cold snap, when temps were in the 40-50 range all the time.

Maybe it's the desert climate... too much sun on their heads makes
plants crazy

~REZ~
Old 17-05-2004, 05:17 PM
Rez

In article , Frogleg wrote:
No one told the random tomatoes we planted here the past couple years.
The hotter it got the better they liked it.

Sorry. I wrote as if this (tomatoes not setting fruit in hot weather)
is universal and absolute. It *is* what many references on growing
tomatoes suggest, and has also been my and friends' experience.

I've noticed that a lot of veggies behave weirdly in this area. You
should see how strange broccoli grows here -- the heading kind doesn't
make heads, it makes leafy things with occasional spates of bloom
(which are tasty but not much to them). Probably due to having a
rather broad climate range (middling winter to severe summer,
sometimes on the same day), low moisture, and soil with very skewed
and sometimes absent nutrients (beyond where you can amend it to
normalcy).

Or maybe it's the relatively high background radiation ... the reason
they put Edwards AFB in the Antelope Valley in the first place, was
because the soil was considered too radioactive for human habitation
(lots of uranium deposits), and they figured a research base wasn't
going to make it any worse. We do see lots of mutated/deformed stink
beetles... Now it's going on half a million residents and is the
fastest growing city in the U.S. Just wait til our mutant descendants
take over the world. g

~REZ~