Old 16-05-2004, 08:13 PM
Brian

Default Bluebells turned pink; and a sick apple

I too was admiring them just to the North of you~in Cornwall. Thankfully we
have no problems with the Spanish varieties.
As you do have one white specimen then tickle its inside with a little
brush, on a warm day, soon and you stand a good chance of further whites. I
have managed this in just over three years. Leave the fruits till they start
to discolour. Sow the seeds in a pan of sifted soil and leave outside to the
elements.
Within 18months you should be able to re-sift the soil leaving the small
bulbs to be planted.
Best Wishes. Brian.
"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Sun, 16 May 2004 12:32:53 +0100, "Brian"
wrote:

Seeds from white bluebells will only come true if pollinated by other

white
flowers. This is best done by hand and cover the fruits after you have

done
so. Ideally do this in an insect proof greenhouse. From where will you
obtain the white genuine bluebells to make a start?.
Have another look at English bluebells in dappled sunlight and you might
agree that the natural colour is the best. I have literally millions of
bluebells forming glades and think of the other colours as interesting

but
not desirable in bulk.
Best Wishes Brian 'flayb' to respond.

Thanks, but there's only the one plant ATM.

As an aside, we were out walking on the cliffs in West Cornwall this
afternoon, and admiring a huge carpet of genuine English bluebells,
when I noticed one solitary very pale pink one among them.

--
Chris